The Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives is an organization dedicated to preserving the legacy of the American volunteers who fought in the Spanish Civil War. We are now accepting submissions for our annual essay contest, The Watt Prize, named in honor of Lincoln Brigade volunteer George Watt, a writer and lifelong activist central to the creation of ALBA. Students from anywhere in the world are invited to submit an essay or thesis chapter about any aspect of the Spanish Civil War, the global political or cultural struggles against fascism in the 1920s and 1930s, or the lifetime histories and contributions of the international volunteers who fought in support of the Spanish Republic from 1936 to 1938.
The contest offers cash prizes and accepts submissions in the Graduate and Undergraduate categories. The deadline for submission is July 5, 2023, and all submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Award (Up to $500)
- Essays must be between 2,000 and 10,500 words.
- Submissions may be in Spanish or English.
- Submissions must have been produced to fulfill an undergraduate course or degree requirement (please specify course, degree, and institution; for thesis chapters, please add a thesis abstract).
- Winners are expected to make a statement/presentation to the selection committee prior to award disbursement.
- Any work produced since August 1, 2022, is eligible for the competition.
- One essay will be awarded up to $500
- Deadline: July 5, 2023
Again, email Submissions to email@example.com.
More info about the contest can be found on the website.