The Microeconomic Theory Initative (MTI) was founded within Columbia’s Department of Economics and Program for Economic Research (PER) in 2017. The goal of MTI is to support research in microeconomic theory, both within the Economics department and across the university. MTI’s activities include providing funding for and organizing conferences, mini-courses, and visits from leading scholars. MTI also provides support for graduate student research.
The current director of MTI is Qingmin Liu.
The core faculty within the Economics department who are involved with MTI are:
Some of the regular activities at Columbia related to microeconomic theory / MTI include:
- Annual conference on economic theory
- Economic theory weekly seminar
- Micreconomic theory weekly PhD student colloquium
- Weekly MTI faculty lunch (contact the MTI director for details)
- Happy hour for faculty and students
Other, current and past ad-hoc activities, include:
- BRIC conference
- Market design conference