Master of Arts program in Economics at Columbia University:
The Master of Arts program in Economics is designed for students who wish to improve their knowledge of economic theory and its applications. The M.A. program provides a technical and rigorous approach to the study of economics while offering students enough flexibility to take field electives in the department in order to tailor their programs of study to their professional goals.
The program is ideal for anyone looking for a program which specializes in advanced applied economic research. The program offers an excellent opportunity for:
- Students seeking a quantitative degree with a focus in applied econometrics or economic modeling in order to prepare themselves to work in a variety of positions that require the ability to conduct applied economic research.
- Students with an interdisciplinary interest in law, public policy, environmental science, political science, demography or various area studies.
- Mid-career professionals working in financial institutions, government, and think tanks throughout the world.
Graduates of the M.A. program will have the tools to conduct applied economic research and a sound preparation for progression to doctoral study. Specifically, upon successful completion of the program graduates will be able:
- To take a rigorous, quantitative approach to economic problems
- To build and test economic models, using sophisticated economics tools
- To advance professionally and to compete for well-paying jobs across a broad spectrum of industries and sectors
- To apply to and enroll in a doctoral program