Columbia Business School is seeking outstanding applications for the 2019 Summer Research Internship program. The highly selective program provides an intellectually stimulating environment and introduces the interns to the world of business research. Under the guidance of Columbia Business School’s leading faculty, interns will take an active role on a research project in one of the following areas: accounting, economics, finance, marketing, management, decision sciences, operations, and data analytics. This is a multi-disciplinary program and candidates from all majors are encouraged to apply.
The internship program is designed for undergraduate students at the end of their sophomore or junior year and first year Masters students. Exceptional students from other classes are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Most of the top interns have gone to leading MS and PhD programs in Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Management, Operations Research, and Data Science. Many have been selected to join CBS as full-time Research Associates or admitted to one of CBS’ PhD programs.
All prospective interns must have the following qualifications:
· Enthusiasm for research, intellectual curiosity, and excellent communications skills
· The ability to learn new concepts and tools and apply them to your projects
Skills for Quantitative Projects
· Most Economics, Finance, and Accounting (and economics based management and marketing) projects require:
o Strong background or major in econometrics and statistics
o The ability to run regressions using statistical packages such as STATA or R
· Quantitative projects in Management, Marketing or DRO require:
o Background or major in mathematics, computer science, or engineering
o Strong programming background (C/C++, Python, R, or Matlab, etc.)
· Some projects may require the ability to do text processing using Python or Perl familiarity with basic machine learning algorithms
Skills for Behavioral projects in Management or Marketing
· Interest in behavioral experiments – background or major in Psychology
· Knowledge of SPSS, some projects may require knowledge of Python or R
The program runs from May 28, 2019 – July 26 or August 2, 2019 (end dates to be determined). On-campus housing and a stipend will be provided.
To apply, please fill out the application form at the following website: https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/pre-doctoral-research/summer-research-internship
The Application Deadline is 11:59pm EST on March 1, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The application process is highly competitive, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.