Joint Economics-Operations Research Major
Requirements for the Joint Major in ECONOMICS and OPERATIONS RESEARCH
** IMPORTANT NOTICE**
The major in Economics-Operations Research is CLOSED to new students beginning in the FALL of 2010. Students interested in this major should consider one of the two other quantitative interdepartmental majors (econ-statistics and econ-mathematics) or the new major in financial economics. Students who declared the economics-OR major prior to the fall of 2010 will be allowed to complete the major
Core Requirements in Economics Department
The following 4 courses are required:
- W1105 Principles of Economics
- W3211 Intermediate Microeconomics
- W3213 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- W3412 Econometrics
Students must take 2 electives at the 3000 level or higher in the department of economics.
- If a student takes an economics elective without having completed micro and macro then that course will not count towards the major. All courses in the department with the exception of accounting require both micro and macro.
- A maximum of 1 elective may be taken at Barnard.
- Senior seminars are not electives.
- Continuing Education/Business Courses: We do not accept any of the courses from Continuing Education or the Business school as elective courses, but the department does offer corporate finance (W4280) that may satisfy students' interest in this area.
- Courses not listed in the economics department in the bulletin will not be counted towards the major unless the student gets prior approval from his or her advisor.
- The department and Barnard offer several of the same courses (listed below). If a student takes the same course in both schools then only one of the two will count as an elective.
- W4321 and BC3029 Economic Development
- W4329 and BC3039 Economics of the Environment
- W4400 and BC3019 Labor Economics
- W4500 and BC3047 International Trade
- W4505 and BC3038 International Money
- G4235 and BC3041 Historical Foundations of Modern Economics
This list is not necessarily exhaustive and the department reserves the right to deny credit for any other courses where the subject matter overlaps too much.
Core Requirements in the Mathematics, Operations Research and Computer Science Departments
Mathematics:One of the following sequences:
- MATH V1101 , V1102, V1201 (Calculus I, II, III) and V2010 Linear Algebra
- MATH V1207 and V1208 (Honors math A and B)
Operations Research: Students must take the following courses:
- IEOR E3600 Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- IEOR E3608 Introduction to Mathematical Programming
- IEOR E4106 (or E3106) Introduction to Operations Research: Stochastic Models
- One Elective in operations research or statistics (See The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Bulletin for complete listings)
Computer Science: Students must complete one of the following courses:
- W1003 Intro to Computer Programming in C
- W1004 Intro to Computer Programming in Java
- W1005 Intro to Computer Programming in Fortran
- W1007 Intro to Computer Science
Students must take W4918 Econometrics Seminar.
Students must receive a grade of at least C- in order for the course to count towards the major (including statistics and math). Only W1105 Principles of Economics may be taken Pass/D/Fail.