The Cognition and Decisions lab is a joint venture between principal investigators Mike Woodford, Pietro Ortoleva and Mark Dean, members of the Economics Department of Columbia University. Its aim is to use tools and techniques from Economics, Neuroscience and Psychology to better understand the cognitive processes underlying economic decision making. Current projects include studying the way in which limited attention is allocated during choice, and understanding the role of incomplete preferences in economic decision making. For more information, please contact one of the principal investigators.
February 10, 2017
- Mike will present his work with Mel and Ziang on "Risk Attitude as a Perceptual Bias" in a Workshop at the Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience meeting (CoSyNe 2017) in Salt Lake City. He will also be presenting this work in seminars at USC and CalTech.
- Evan won Harriss Prize for best second-year paper (runner up) for "Endogenous QRE”.
- Mark and Mike attended the session "Empirical Tests of Rational Inattention
" at the ASSA meetings in Chicago. Lumineta Stevens presented her paper with Mike and Mel "Discrete Adjustment to a Changing Environment: Experimental Evidence", while Mark presented his upcoming paper "Experimental Tests of Rational Inattention" (joint with Nate Neligh).
- Mark has been invited to present at NYU and Chicago in the spring.
- Pietro has been invited to present in George Mason, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, Warwick, UCSD.
November 3, 2016
Congratulations to Pablo on his successful defense!
Mark's paper "Limited Attention and Status Quo Bias” has been accepted for publication at the Journal of Economic Theory.
Mark has been invited to speak at Munich and Maryland next semester.
Pietro has been invited to talk at Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Virginia Tech, UCSD, London School of Economics, Warwick, University College London, Queen Mary University. He has already presented in the Uncertainty and Action meeting of the Royal Society and Decision Theory conference in Caltech.
October 24, 2016
Mike will present his paper with Mel and Luminita Stevens, "Discrete Adjustment to a Changing Environment: Experimental Evidence," at a conference sponsored by the Journal of Monetary Economics and the Swiss National Bank on October 29.
Mike will give a series of lectures on "Inattentive Choice" at Brown University during the week of November 14, as a Distinguished Lecturer in the Department of Economics.
September 22, 2016
Ambuj and Evan are presenting at Columbia-NYU-Wharton Graduate Student Experimental conference on September 30, 2013.
Pablo officially graduated for his PhD from the Sustainable Development program in SIPA.